Thursday, June 23, 2011

Making It Happen


Since this blog is about accomplishing my goals, it's time I get down to business. The first goal I am going to tackle is perhaps the biggest and most challenging goal on my list. Career.

After spending 6 years working in the field of marketing, I had come to the realization that marketing is not my passion in life. I always liked my job but I felt like I was just going through the motions and my heart was not in it. From the time I graduated from college I always pictured myself being in a career that I loved and could be successful in but I just never got to that point because I didn't have that passion about marketing.

Not only was I complacent in my career, I felt the same way about life in general and somewhere in between the ages of 27-29 I had become comfortably numb. Sure I had a job I liked, friends and family I loved, and great place to live, but I felt like I was in cruise control. I was choosing to live life on a comfortable level, so comfortable that I convinced myself at some point that I was really happy. After a few years of living in this comfortable zone I began to feel like something was missing in my life and that thing was passion. I knew I needed a change so I took drastic measures and moved to Colorado.

While moving to Colorado was a huge risk I jumped knowing that it was the right thing for me at the right time. That drastic jump was exactly what I needed to take control of the wheel again. Like most things in life my move to Colorado did not go as planned. I fell snowboarding and herniated two disks then spent 5 weeks on mostly bed rest and working from home. The straw that broke the camel's back was getting laid off from work. I was devastated! I had taken the risk and move to Colorado thinking life would get better, not worst.

The nice thing about being at rock bottom is that things can only get better and that is exactly what happened for me. I had moved to Colorado to find my passion and succeed in life and that was exactly what I set my mind to do. I was not going to let these events define my life, I was going to use them to motivate me. I took a real good look at my life and realized that it was my past actions that had gotten me to where I was. If I ever wanted to succeed in life I would need to start taking actions now so in the future I will be where I want to be. At that moment I swore that I would never take such a passive approach to life again!

So here I am today, taking control of my own happiness. Somewhere along the road of recovery I found my true passion in life and that passion is health and wellness. So after a lot of thinking and research I have decided to follow my passion and go back to school to get my masters in Health and Wellness Psychology. Happiness is not something that is handed to you, you have to go after it and create it for yourself. I feel like we were all brought into this world for reason or purpose and it is our responsibility to find that purpose. I believe that it is my purpose in life to help others reach their health and wellness goals. Life is not about settling with a job that you just like, it's about achieving and being all we can be.

I have always said that everything in life happens for a reason and I truly believe that I am right where I was meant to be. I had to overcome the obstacles in my way so that I could find the right path. I have never been so excited for the future. I finally feel like I have a clear plan on where my life is going and I am taking the wheel and driving full speed ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment